Saturday, November 20, 2010

Pumpkin Butter

This past summer I grew pie pumpkins in the garden. I used them to decorate for Halloween and once the holiday was over I had all these pumpkins left over! So I decided to try my hand at making pumpkin butter. It made 11 jars!! I sent some to school for the kids teachers and the secretary. I've used a couple of jars to make pumpkin pie. I put some up in the freezer. The kids love it. They will eat it strait out of the jar with a spoon if I let them!

First I gutted them  

Then chopped them into pieces and boiled until the skin was easy to slip off
Added sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, & cloves and put in the crock pot over night
Put it in the food processor

Simmered it one more time for good measure (it was my first attempt! Really I had no idea what I was doing!!)

Then processed them in a water bath.



2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I may have to try that!
    Theresa
    aka:TOT

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds yummy is it like apple butter? thanks for posting about goodwill outlet i had never heard of anything like that i googled it found one close to my sister's house so that will be on my list of to do's

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments. Thank you for reading visiting!