Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Baklava & More Hobnob

Two totally unrelated subjects, thrown in together on one post! 
My oldest daughter had Greek & Rome Day at school on Tuesday. The teacher sent a sign up sheet with things like bottled grape juice, cheese cubes, grapes, napkins, and baklava. I think the baklava was the only thing on the list that required more than just going to the store to purchase it.....so of course I picked it!
I loooooove baklava and it is pretty easy to make.
 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
 1 pound chopped nuts
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C). Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9x13 inch pan.
  2.  
  3. Chop nuts and toss with cinnamon. Set aside. Unroll phyllo dough. Cut whole stack in half to fit pan. Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work. Place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle 2 - 3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top. Top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go. The top layer should be about 6 - 8 sheets deep.
  4. Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. You may cut into 4 long rows the make diagonal cuts. Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
  5. Make sauce while baklava is baking. Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
6. Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. Let cool. Serve in cupcake papers. This freezes well. Leave it uncovered as it gets soggy if it is wrapped up. 
Recipe from Allrecipes.com
It turned out sooooo good.
Now here is where we get random in this post!
I got a few more photos at Hobnob last Saturday and wanted to share!


 Holly's 
I think I am in love with that aqua ladder!

 I wish I had been able to take more photos, but the place really was so packed!

Linking to:
Primp
 

10 comments:

  1. YUM! I love baklava but have never made it myself. Doesn't look too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had baklava but it looks and sounds delicious!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, looks so good.Happy Thanksgiving. Wishing you a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baklava too and yours looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe.
    Looks like a fabulous place to shop!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lovin' that aqua ladder too. Happy Thanksgiving!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicki, Your baklava looks yummy and it is something I like at the holidays. It is yummy. You can always see so many neat things at craft shows or craft halls. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family from a Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is going in the recipe books!!! I worked for a greek family and could never get them to dicslose their beloved baklava recipe! I cant wait to make this and suprise the couple (one of the owners is my girlfriend). Seems so simple, we will see! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun place. Wish I could have went. I think I have something going on every weekend in December. Oh well...tis the Season.
    I've been wondering how I could turn the monopoly markers into charms. I wonder if they'd be cute glittered?

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments. Thank you for reading visiting!